Monday, March 19, 2012

Shadowing Dr.K.S.

Best thing I've heard in a while, "I think you would make a good dentist." This is from a dental assistant who has worked in the field for over 35 years. It has got to have some kind of significance to it, right? It meant a lot to me just to hear those words. Especially after this stressful year of trying to get into dental school.

Shadowing Dr.K.S today was pretty much a typical day at the office with crown seats and preps, hygiene exams, and fillings. That is, other than the cutest and most patient little four year-old getting two amalgam fillings and an older emergency patient getting three tooth roots pulled out because of an infection.

Case I:
The person that had to get three tooth roots pulled out was quite a sight to see. These are three teeth that had root canals done to them and had probably chipped off because the dead teeth were brittle and fragile. So all that really remained of the teeth were the roots, which were causing his upper cheek and gums to become inflammed. Watching them get extracted was pretty cool as well as the sutures.

Case II:
The four year-old was the most patient patient I've ever seen in my life. He didn't even flinch at the pinch of the novocaine injection and was cooperative during the whole process of the two amalgam fillings. It's rare to see even adults not squirm at the injection of an anesthetic. The mom even mentioned, "I can't believe he didn't even squirm, his sixteen year-old sister couldn't even handle it. I even flinch at the injection of novocaine."

Just two asides, I was on my feet for seven hours straight shadowing today. My feet? KILLING ME. Other than that, I CANNOT, for the life of me, find the little pocket notebook that I use when I'm shadowing and it is bothering the heck out of me. I know I had it last Monday when I shadowed the orthodontist, but I haven't been able to track it since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment