Thursday, March 29, 2012

Shadowing Dr. C.R at the Public Community Clinic

What an experience. It's always nice to go to this clinic, particularly because I get to be around D4 students whom I feel I am most able to relate to, at this point in time. Also, I get to see a lot of things I don't see at most dental clinics because the patients are of an entirely different demographic.

I saw what I learned is called an "immediate denture" as opposed to the "conventional denture" that was put in place immediately after seven teeth were extracted from this mid-30's aged male. It was really unfortunate to see such a younger person have to get rid of his teeth at such a young age.

In addition, I also witnessed one patient that was somewhat rude and difficult to work with because the students were not catering to her wants with the limited time they had scheduled with her. She wanted to have all the work she had delayed getting in the hour time slot she was given, however, it would be impossible to do so. As a result, the patient repeatedly mentioned that she didn't want to hear any more explanations and just wanted them to complete whatever needed the most work and also that she would not be returning.

I can't imagine how the faculty instructor at this clinic manages all the stress that is applied to her situation on a regular basis. I mean the dental students, of course, feel stress, but they are done after a certain period of rotations. But the faculty members are always there. Yikes.

Yet, another good experience. Now if only the oral surgeon I've contacted would call me back....

No comments:

Post a Comment