Sunday, March 4, 2012

Community Health Clinic Shadowing

Friday was my first visit ever to a community health clinic. It was quite different than what I had ever seen in private dental clinics. Beginning with the location, things were different. The demographics of the people, the treatments needed. They were all completely contradictory of what was I was used to. Even policies were different. There was a sign at each chair that stated that if patients did not confirm their appointments within 24 hours of their appointment date and time, that their appointment could be handed off to the next patient who needed care. Something unheard of in private clinics.

Nonetheless, doctors treated patients equally, maybe even gave them more attention and made them more aware of their post-treatment care and explained steps in more detail. Then again, it could be because they were students, D4s. But I would like to think that their personality for care is innate and they truly do care for each patient's well-being. I was surprised and excited to hear that one of the D4 students was an alumnus of my university.

While it was a smaller clinic, it was busier than some that I had previously seen. They accommodated for as much as they could and adjusted their treatment plans accordingly. With any clinic you have to have a lot of patience and really like your job, but with clinics like these, you have to be even more patient, which is what I saw at this particular clinic.

Something interesting I saw from shadowing that I hadn't seen before. Extraction of teeth standing up! I had no idea that this was a method of extracting teeth! So cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment