Thursday, April 12, 2012

Shadowing oral surgeon Dr.B.D.C.

This was quite a different experience. The more I shadow dental specialties, the more I like them. However, I am fully aware that in order to be in these specialties you have to be near the top of your class and study for a couple of extra years.

I was able to shadow this oral surgeon because one of the dental assistants at the dental office where I work part-time used to work for this oral surgeon. This situation was unique in that I was required to wear scrubs (and I couldn't help thinking how nice it would be to not have to worry about what to wear all the time). It was a completely different approach to extracting teeth and I really enjoyed the atmosphere of oral surgery just as I did orthodontics. It was interesting to see "the other side" of anesthesia -- because now I finally knew what went on when the patient was passed out and the oral surgeon and his dental assistants got work done.

I'm sure I can't say much more, so I'll just leave with this note. Please, remember to brush your tongue folks.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I just had to see a Staten Island oral surgeon and he had someone shadowing him and you could just see how happy she was to be there. I was actually very excited for her. Good luck with every thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a comment! I was just doing this for myself, it's surprising to read a comment -- but nonetheless very welcome! ;) I know some patients are uncomfortable with pre-dents hovering over them during a visit, but we actually learn a lot from it! Thanks for allowing us to do it! :)

    I hope your recovery from your oral surgery visit is going well!

    And a final thanks for the encouragement, it's getting down to the last couple days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking at Coquitlam orthodontics. Glad to know that you had such a good experience. Hopefully, mine will go as smooth.

    ReplyDelete